Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Soilwork-Sworn To A Great Divide



This is without a doubt Soilwork's best album yet. These guys are like no other melodic death band. Having a small twist of thrash and a hint of metalcore in their sound, it fits in perfectly, especially in this album, which is a tad bit more on the melodic side, but still pretty thrashy. Speed described their sound being mainly influenced by Meshuggah, Pantera, and Carcass. The members claim that Dark Tranquility and Killswitch Engage inspired the new sound for Sworn to a Great Divide.
First off I would like to compliment the sound of the guitar distortion. It's not very crunchy, but it's still very rough, and I love it. I've always loved their amazing drummer. Dirk drums like a wild animal, with amazing skill and deep creativity. Once again, Speed's ability to go from a very dirty yell, to one of the best male singing voices is still utterly impossible for anyone but him.
The first song (the title song) off the album is very heavy and shows strong shades of thrash metal to get your heart racing. But up until As the Sleeper Wakes, the album gets very calm and melodic. I love it when a band shows off how many different sides they have with the different sounds. I would have to say that Silent Bullet is my favorite off this album. Great drums, it has both speedy and melodic parts to the song. Overall I would give this perfect album 20/20. I can't wait for The Panic Broadcast.

No comments:

Post a Comment