Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Augury-Fragmentary Evidence

This band has taken extreme music to a completely new level. Augury is one of the best progressive death bands ever. Not only are they signed on to a record label that only accepts the best of the best (Nuclear Blast); they also have one of my favorite bassists. I got temporarily addicted to this album; I listened to it over and over for about a week and a half. Canada has produced only a few good metal bands, and Augury is one of them.

The giant explosion on the first song is amazing, you can tell right then that their sound is going to be powerful. In most death metal albums, the emotion is primarily uncontrollable anger and violence. But Augury gives you a relaxed feeling at some points. This music filled me completely with multiple emotions, it was amazing.

Their bassist is one of the best in the entire metal genre. He plays a fretless bass (as I do as well). In songs such as “Orphans of Living” and “Simian Cattle”, he takes his bass parts past the limits of complexity and creativity. I have heard from others that when he plays live, he plays each song completely different than the studio versions.

My favorite song from the album is “Brimstone Landscapes”. I absolutely love the song from the first to the last seconds. The beginning reminds me of the rocky, icy parts of Mount Rainier. It’s awesome! Towards the end, there is a small twist of something completely different with the female guest vocalists. Fragmentary Evidence is clearly and unarguably a milestone in the metal genre.

10 comments:

  1. Excellent review, I hope you enjoyed seeing us play and I hope to see you again someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a very good album, I got their first album back in '06 and loved it, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an interesting album. They have some jazz and a lot of interesting bass parts, especially in Orphans of Living and Simian Cattle. Could you write a couple reviews on black metal albums?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice write up it. it could be a bit longer though

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great read. I also think it could be a bit longer

    ReplyDelete
  6. are there any certain parts you would like me to make longer?

    ReplyDelete
  7. are there any specific parts you would like me to make longer?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great blog you have here mate. Im gonna bookmark it and subscribe to your RSS feed. thanks for taking the time to post

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I love This . I even wrote about it on my blog at http://www.trancecommunity.com/Forum/trance_albums/ a while ago. Anyway, I'm not necessarily into this stuff but Augury-Fragmentary Evidence | Gabe's Blog just happened to grab my attention there in the sidebar, while I was browsing through.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heya, Someone mentioned this site over at http://www.clearwaterfp.com a while ago. Anyway, I'm not necessarily into this stuff but Augury-Fragmentary Evidence | Gabe's Blog just happened to grab my attention while I was browsing through so i thought id check it out. Great blog you have here

    ReplyDelete