Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Veil of Maya-[id]

Veil of Maya is probably one of the most technical deathcore bands I’ve heard yet. I never fully appreciated them until I saw them live a couple weeks ago at the 2010 Summer Slaughter tour. I was surprised to see that their bassist’s guitar had seven strings! That isn’t something you would normally see in a deathcore band. I was just outside the venue by some merchandise stands chatting with my friends and eating a mini pizza (it was around lunchtime). I was sort of listening to them as background music, and while I was inside throwing my pizza away, I couldn’t believe what I was hearing; I had to stay and watch this. Pretty soon I was enjoying myself so much I was in the pit within a few minutes (even though I was freaking tired). I was impressed by them and bought their new album, [id], while I was there.

Veil of Maya’s sound is very abstract. The guitarists play a lot of out of tune chords to give the sound an edge. The vocalist is one of those deathcore vocalists that mainly growls, and screams every once in a while (like whitechapel, carnifex, and suffokate). Before I saw them, I had their first demo that I got when a friend gave it to me about a year after they released it. Now that I’ve heard this, I’d say that they are astonishing compared to the demo. Their bassist has great technical skills, and I can tell that he uses every string on his instrument. The drummer plays a lot of abstract tempos and uses a lot of auxiliary drumming items. I would like to note that I’m not extra critical on how metal vocalists sound because it’s very hard to do (I know firsthand that it’s difficult). But I would like to say that the vocalist’s scream could use to be worked on a bit because it’s a bit scratchy sounding, which bothers me a bit.

There are several interludes in the album. The first “song”, which is the intro track, really gives you an idea of what you’re about to listen to. In the next song, the guitarist plays a really weird chord that sounds really cool to give the song some edge. Believe it or not, in deathcore, I am not easily impressed when it comes to breakdowns. They have to be really good, tight, on-beat, and creative to impress me, and honestly, none of these breakdowns impress me (I’m not saying they’re bad at all, they’re just not quite good enough for me). Overall, the band’s performance and this album have impressed me. I would recommend this to metalcore and deathcore fans, and of course, to anyone who loves discovering new music. This album gets 16/20.

27 comments:

  1. Dear admin, thnx for sharing this blog post. I found it wonderful. Best regards, Victoria...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I've got to check out this album now. I was exactly the same when I first heard Veil Of Maya. I was in my boyfriends car and was like 'heeey whats this'? I was amazed by them, so asked him if I could borrow his cd! I really enjoyed listening to The Comman Man's Collapse. I love how energetic the band is, I often listen to them in the morning on my ipod to wake me up lol :P I honestly havn't heard anyone like them. Me and my boyfriend are big fans, feel free to check out his review on:
    http://www.shapeshiftclothing.com/
    Thanks for your review - was a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a frequent reader of your blog posts. I liked the recent one and other posts on your blog so much that I have subscribed to the blog’s RSS feed in Thunderbird. Even thinking of stealing some ideas and put them to work. Keep all the good work going by posting more informative posts. Thank you. Time well spent on this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't met a writer as great as you are. Thumbs up for a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, thank you your writing style is amazing. just found your site on aol. come back later for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me English no good, but had to say me like what you say. Thank you from Panama.

    ReplyDelete
  7. simple wordpress theme, did u make it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello!, I am visiting your site yet again to see more of your updates. I found this really interesting and felt compelled to comment a little thank you for all your effort. Please continue the great work your doing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You made some first rate points there. I regarded on the web for the issue and found most individuals will go along with with your website. Agile Marketing Solutions, LLC 2905 East Point Street, Suite 91784, Atlanta, GA 30344 (404) 939-5631

    ReplyDelete
  10. My brother suggested I might like this blog. He used to be entirely right. This publish truly made my day. You can not imagine simply how so much time I had spent for this info! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey there, I wanted to ask you one thing. Is this a wordpress blog page? I am wondering about switching our site from Blogger to wordpress, do you think this is doable? Also did you build this specific theme by yourself some how? Many thanks for the assistance!

    ReplyDelete
  12. thank you so much,my friend,the page is invaluable to me,i learned more from your website.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some times its a pain in the ass to read what blog owners wrote but this web site is really user friendly ! . ginecologie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello from Brisbane, Australia. I'm a student and found your material very useful. Thanks so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. alphaville eaters narcissism olbrychsky flaubert dotson obregon geechy innocent

    ReplyDelete
  16. You produced some decent points there. I looked online for that issue and identified a lot of people goes coupled with with all your web site.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Check This Out...

    [...]Here are some of the sites we recommend for our visitors[...]...

    ReplyDelete
  18. We absolutely do not provide service for blacksDO NOT CALL us !

    ReplyDelete
  19. Possibly you have thought-about bringing large films for your very own weblogs which keeps the visitors significantly more having fun? I'm talking about Individuals explained car bit of the one you have and it also ended up being really beneficial consider Internet marketing the rest of an evident student,I ran across of which to become additional beneficial properly inform me the actual way it ends up! I like what exactly everyone can be right up also. These smart operate and also confirming! Continue the truly great functions males You will find included everyone to my own blogroll. This may be a wonderful document we appreciate you discussing this particular helpful facts.. I will go to your website frequently for many most current submit.

    ReplyDelete
  20. superb publish, pretty enlightening. I really really think the reason additional professionals of the marketplace tend not to realize the following. You have to move your crafting. I am certain, you might have an incredible readers' foundation previously!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I agree with your Veil of Maya-[id] | Gabe's Blog, superb post.

    ReplyDelete
  22. metal-blogs.com rss feed bookmarked !
    free ipad

    ReplyDelete