Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Vomit the Soul - Apostles of Inexpression


I don’t know why I’ve procrastinated writing this review for so long because this is one of my favorite brutal death bands. Anyway, Italy’s Vomit the Soul (that’s right, ITALY!) has been one of the dominants of the European brutal death scene, with several labels eager to get the band on their roster. Vomit the Soul eventually released my favorite album of theirs, Apostles of Inexpression through an extremely well-known label called Unique Leader Records. They hardly need an introduction considering they’ve had/have bands such as Rings of Saturn, Decrepit Birth, Mortal Decay, Gorod, Fallujah, Psycroptic, Spawn of Possession, Vile, and Hour of Penance. Although Vomit the Soul ceased to exist last year, this album still deserves to be known because, well, it’s awesome!

I’m going to start with my favorite member, the vocalist. This guy can do some of the best pig squeals and inhaled vocals the brutal death genre has to offer. Just listen to any of the songs off the album and you will know what I’m talking about. Although he’s not screaming (like the Slaughterbox vocalist does), his vocals are fairly high-pitched and meaty. I will be one of the first supporters of the next band this guy either joins or starts. Also, the EXTREMELY razor-sharp sound of the guitars back up the vocals perfectly and without flaw. But, the bass isn’t going to stick out much unless you have a good set of speakers (not amazing, just better than average). This is true, but I also want to trick you into turning up your subs so you can be sure to hear the bomb-like bass booms that are let off at the start of some of the breakdowns.

I don’t even know where to start with this drummer. He’s amazing and is perfect for the style of music, that’s for sure. But I feel that there’s something (positive) about him that sets him apart from the majority of brutal death drummers….something that makes him one of the best. It could be his energetic style, his amazing footwork, his efficiency, I don’t know. He has a great talent for not overdoing the chaos in places where most other drummer wouldn’t be able to control themselves. By that I mean randomly hitting the toms and cymbals to create an excess burst of energy. The drummer has tons of technicality in what he plays, but he never makes unnecessary fills or blast beats.  

The songs do differ from each other, but it would be hard to tell them apart if you’re not familiar with the brutal death genre and haven’t listened to it profusely. This is one of those albums where every song has the same juicy, brutal sound (which takes up the majority of the skeleton of each song) but also with its own unique trait that makes it easy to recognize. Other than that, awesome brutality for all!!

This is one of my favorite brutal death albums and I highly recommend that you pick it up at Unique Leader’s online store because I don’t know if this record has very many reprints left in its lifetime. I would give this album 19/20 for being amazing and…amazing. Pick up this shit before it disappears! 

No comments:

Post a Comment