Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Brainoil-Death Of This Dry Season

Brainoil, now that’s a cool name if you ask me! I’m not too familiar with the sludge metal area, although I am a huge Hellyeah fan, and I have heard some Down stuff, and I have a Black Label Society album. But otherwise, I haven’t really gone into much depth into the sludge lake. But hey! There aren’t very many things that I love more than listening to new music. Now I wasn’t particularly fond of the Down stuff I heard, so that was kind of a bad first impression on sludge metal. But Hellyeah has been a band I’ve been following their whole career, but they mix in some nu metal and some thrash in their bowl of sludge.

The first thing I need to note is that this is a pretty raw and poorly produced album. And that’s not a bad thing at all because I listen to tons of poorly recorded stuff. So the guitars have the really thick, crunchy sound that I’ve heard in most sludge bands (and I love the sound of it too). I do hear some classic heavy metal influenced guitar riffs here and there which is good because it’s showing these guys have some inspiration going here. I’m also noticing that the vocals aren’t being sung, it sound like a dirty, Sepultura-styled scream/yell almost. But the thing that’s really bothering me about this album is that the vocals are really quiet and I have to really listen in order to hear them clearly, so it would be a plus if the vocals were not so drowned out by the guitars, which are pretty much dominating everything else. I’m also having trouble hearing the bass. So most of these faults are just due to the crappy recording quality which is understandable because producing music isn’t the easiest thing in the world, it’s just something that takes some work. So maybe these guys should have spent a little more time perfecting the volume on each track so that you can hear everything fine.

Now the first song starts with the classic faded-in guitar feedback which sounds really cool if done well; and they definitely pulled it off in this song. The first track also has a lot of traditional heavy metal influenced guitar parts that actually sound really catchy. Ok now were on the second song…wait…I think I just heard the same intro that I did on the first song, did I not? Ok now we have some repetitiveness here, because I’m hearing the same type of intro for all of the songs except for two of them. It was great in the first song because it was a good album intro, but it shouldn’t be used anymore after that. This is also one of the slower metal bands which really give their music that thick sludge metal sound. So overall, not bad! But there are quite a few things that need to be worked on, but I see quite a bit of potential for these guys. This gets 11/20.

11 comments:

  1. I enjoy you because of all of the hard work on this web page. Ellie takes pleasure in engaging in investigation and it's obvious why. Most of us know all concerning the powerful manner you give great techniques on the website and as well as welcome contribution from some others on the article and our favorite daughter is now studying so much. Take advantage of the rest of the new year. Your conducting a fabulous job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I simply depend on commonly found your internet-site rear i really buy most probably first been reviewing have in mind the following at the often. You have a very a great many good data upcoming then i take advantage of search out associated with vast web plus. Stay the main brilliant industry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sources...

    [...]check below, are some totally unrelated websites to ours, however, they are most trustworthy sources that we use[...]…...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesing article Thank You very Much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was highly encouraged to seek out this blog. The purpose getting that it is these kinds of an helpful publish. I wished to thank you for this in depth go through of your topic. I undeniably savored every last minor little bit of it and I've you bookmarked to check out out new things you publish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Obviously this is subjective, but I agree with everything you said here. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey! This post couldn't be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my previous room mate! He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this page to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’d have to check with you here. Which is not something I usually do! I enjoy reading a post that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have previously been looking for a supply of wholesale gold. Might someone possess past experiences?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It certainly does take quite a while to uncover fantastic information like this. Thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete