Monday, November 29, 2010

Iron Maiden-Fear of the Dark

This is one of the better Maiden albums. Fear of the Dark was the last studio album released before several years of touring and the release of numerous live albums such as A Real Live One, A Real Dead One, and Live at Donnington. This is also the first Iron Maiden album cover not to be designed by Derek Riggs, who did the covers for all of their previous albums. Fear of the Dark is the second bestselling Maiden album, the first being The Number of the Beast. I bought this album a couple of years ago due to a recommendation of a friend and an extra $5 I found in the back pocket of one of my pairs of jeans. I haven't listened to it all that much, so I decided I would seriously listen to it and review it. I am mainly writing this review upon request, so I will do the best I can to make this sound good.

Fear of the Dark is one of Iron Maiden's more progressive and complicated albums. The album mainly consists of faster, more driving songs, and ballads. I have owned this CD for quite some time now, and I haven't listened to it very many times, so this was my first time actually sitting down and completely soaking in the music. And I will say that I am greatly impressed with this treat to the ears known widely as Fear of the Dark. I didn't notice any technical drumming or guitars during the record. Most of the instrumentations were quite simple, but still moderately creative. This is not an album that I would listen to while driving or while on the go, this is an album that I have to sit down and listen to. In other words, this album doesn't make the best background music. The lineup that Iron Maiden had at this time (which I think was also the same general lineup for Seventh Son and No Prayer for the Dying) is my personal favorite. I would consider Seventh Son, No Prayer, and Fear of the Dark to be Iron Maiden's ultimate zenith period. I have had a lot of disagreement regarding that so I thought I would try and get my opinion heard by all of you that are reading my review. The lyrical themes on this album seem to be mainly about the life of someone who is homeless, always on the run, and is paranoid about being attacked. About when the album was more than half over, I suddenly realized that the bassist was one minute playing along the same general notes that the guitars were playing, and the next he was literally all over the place going crazy. After that he would go right back in place with the guitars, it was quite an astonishing thing mainly because he did such a good job with it!

At first, the album kicks off with Be Quick or be Dead, a very short-tempered, fast song that is an explosion of technicality and heavy melodies. This song reminds me of a lot of King Diamond and HammerFall songs. For some reason it seems to surprise a lot of people that someone of my age listens to a lot of the old classic metal such as Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, King Diamond, Dio, Accept, Led Zeppelin, and Twisted Sister. I have been listening to heavy metal ever since I dug up Led Zeppelin's self-titled CD when I was in third grade. Back to the album, the second song is quite a delectable one. Not as fast as the first, From Here to Eternity is my favorite song off the album. Mainly because this song contains one of the most astonishingly mind-blowing guitar solos I have ever heard in my life. It's something that I call PURE ART (I RARELY call something that). Afraid to Shoot Strangers is the first ballad on this record, and it's not something that I am a huge fan of. Iron Maiden does some pretty wicked ballads, but this one is one of the more mediocre ones, there is a guitar solo in it, and the beginning of it just doesn't seem to fit the song at all, but I will give them credit for creativity and experimentation. The Fugitive is my second favorite song off the album. Although it lacks some in length, it makes up greatly in creativity and melody. I like how they mix distorted guitars with really smooth sounding guitars.

Overall, I am quite glad that I agreed to sit down and listen to this record after a couple of years of not listening to it. One thing that I love is feedback. I love it when people post comments on my reviews giving me feedback and telling me other stuff. I mainly talked about the songs that stuck out to me the most, but that doesn't mean that the rest of the album isn't worth listening to. I would recommend this to just about everyone! I would give this album 16/20.

25 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing :) Since I worked out how to use Wordpress conditional tags I have cut development time by half !

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be sure with much of your points, but a handful of must be brought up further, I'll hold a little consult my partners and perhaps I'll look for you some suggestion soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great site, I Will come back over the next couple of weeks and see what other little gems have been added.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just added this site to my faves. I'm keen on studying your blogs therefore we do I do hope you you can keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why are there so many out of place comments on this page? Odd. Either way I just had to stop in and compliment you on your subperb writing style. Keeps me coming back. Bookmarked for future visits :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Love is a game that two can play and both win." ~ Eva Gabor

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to start getting rid of my plastics and replace with these!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Practically any type of loan can be wrapped into the debt consolidation process. Common types include finance charges, late fees and overdraft charges, credit cards, personal loans, utility bills, medical bills, car loans, store cards, gas cards and back taxes. A debt consolidation loan<!–allows you to condense your monthly payments into a single, simple bill, while lowering your interest rates and helping you pay down your debts more quickly and easily. It is also an essential tool in avoiding the much more serious step of declaring bankruptcy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Greetings from Australia. You helped me with my university assignment. Thank so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recently currently have determined your sales page lower back liked working out use surely been enjoying ought to be regarding on just the consistant. Next you feature a a variety of tips observing liked working out benefit from search out the foregoing electronic in addition to that. Persist with i would say the perfect industry!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Exceedingly good publish! You most certainly did a great deal of exploration on this, so good occupation. I will make confident to bookmark your web page as well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great website...

    [...]we like to honor many other internet sites on the web, even if they aren’t linked to us, by linking to them. Under are some webpages worth checking out[...]…...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really that is wonderful put up, I really like the way in which of telling this story with vibrant imagery. You are really educated on what you talk about. Out of your passion, you have got become an authority on Blogging. I have been in your site a number of occasions and I always go away with a gem.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just wanna comment on few general things, The website style is perfect, the subject matter is real great : D.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice design and superb content, very little else we require :D.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been browsing on-line greater than three hours today, yet I never found any fascinating article like yours. It is pretty price sufficient for me. In my opinion, if all web owners and bloggers made good content material as you probably did, the internet can be much more helpful than ever before.

    ReplyDelete
  17. After research just a few of the blog posts on your website now, and I actually like your method of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark website checklist and might be checking back soon. Pls try my website as well and let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Website Trackback Link...

    [...]the time to read or visit the content or sites we have linked to below the[...]...

    ReplyDelete
  19. These posts blogs posts are really userful. Good luck with your blog in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aw, this was a very nice post. In concept I wish to put in writing like this additionally – taking time and precise effort to make a very good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and by no means appear to get one thing done.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You might imagine that Im feeling giddy in order that a portion of persons in the street are selling for a great price.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This web site is my aspiration , real superb design and style and perfect subject material . reseller hosting | reseller hosting |

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice site you got here. Helped me out a bunch. I have a few questions though, is there anybody I could contact to answer them here?

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have also been searching to get a supplier of wholesale gold. Might any one possess practical experience?

    ReplyDelete